Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Waiting for H1B extension, driving license is about to expire?


H1B Extensions filers can renew their driving license for 6 months from the day you apply. I got it renewed from West Valley (Utah) DMV.

For renewal you need:

1. Original I797-B (before extension)
2. Receipt Notice (I797-C).
3. DMV letter from your employer stating your work status. (may not be required, but I took)
4. Address proofs (if address change)
5. SSN
6. Current Driving License.

Salt Lake City DMV office asked me for Original Receipt Notice but I tried with West Valley with print out of receipt notice, it worked!!

They took 3 days to process. First of all, they take all documents and fees. Later, they will check with USCIS and approve it. Call them to know if the license is approved after couple of days, if everything is good, you can collect the license from office. They will courier the license card later.
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for sharing the experience.

    It helped me.
    I did went to South Valley DMV and they asked only below documents
    1. License (Expired )
    2. Passport
    3. Receipt Notice (I797-C)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This information is really helpful. Lots of people have the impression that DMV UT won't provide license with H1 extension receipt but it is not true. They only asked passport, old license and receipt notice for me.

    ReplyDelete